BIBLICAL PORTRAIT OF AN IDEAL HUSBAND:
The question, “who is an ideal husband”? Is simple, yet very complicated because of its relativity. What makes a spouse ideal for a woman, for instance, may be completely different from that of another woman. No two women use the same assessment. While one woman may define an ideal husband as one who is financially well-pleased, handsome, romantic and a good cook, another woman may describe him as one who is faithful, caring, loving, selfless and understanding.
The same is applicable to men. No two men share the same views about who an ideal husband is. One may describe him as educated, hardworking and a breadwinner, while another with an entirely different view may see him as decisive, tough, and assertive.
Of course, different cultures and societies also have divergent views. This article discusses this “conflict” of views. It highlights some misconceptions or myths of the different genders, cultures and societies about who an ideal husband is, and dispels the erroneous beliefs. Finally, it gives us the biblical picture of the ideal husband.
MISCONCEPTIONS ABOUT THE IDEAL MAN:
As I have said, there are many views about an ideal husband as there are men, women, cultures and societies, but some of these views are erroneous. They are pure myths – unproved or false ideas held by many people. These beliefs are unscriptural and held by people who are not Christians or are ignorant of God’s Word. Here are some of the myths.
“The Perfect Man” Myth:
Though no two women can be on the same page when it comes to qualities of a good husband, most women have a mental “checklist” of all qualities they want in a husband. According to them, “Mr Perfect” or “Mr Right” must be:
1. Godly. Having high standards for a husband with godly attributes is good. In fact, it’s great that you value these characteristics. But the definition of “godly” by most women leaves out the most important attribute—repentance from sin or salvation. In most of the articles posted on social media about finding the perfect man, I’ve rarely read read about repentance, and this is the single most important quality in a godly man.
2. Financially well-placed. Many women like to keep up with the Jones’, so they want a man who has a “deep pocket” and can conveniently provide all their material needs. Money means everything to them; hence, they turn down any suitor who doesn’t have a private property, drive the latest model of car, work in a multinational company, dress as a corporate executive, or simply appears “rich”. They argue that the wealth of a man earns him love and respect from his wife.
3. Exquisitely handsome or charming: Aside from finance, young women today want a spouse who is attractive or “charming;” a man they can show off with. So, they set out the qualities of this dream man: “he must be tall, dark, and handsome” They say a handsome man makes his wife feel confident and fortunate.
4. Not honest through and through. Although they Cherish honesty as a good quality in a man, some women don’t want a husband who is always honest.
5. A homemaker. Who should be the homemaker between the man and the woman remains a problem in many homes. Many men believe that doing household chores is a woman’s God-given responsibility. But today’s women say it is much the primary responsibility of the man just as it is of the woman. So, their picture-perfect husband is one who does household chores —cooking, meetings needs of the children, doing the laundry and cleaning the home.
What does the Bible say is the ideal husband? Find out more in the next article that’s published next month!
THE LORD JESUS IS COMING SOON!
“Praise ye the LORD. Blessed is the man that feareth the LORD, that delighteth greatly in His commandments. His seed shall be mighty upon earth: the generation of the upright shall be blessed. Wealth and riches shall be in his house: and his righteousness endureth for ever.”
Psalms 112:1-3 KJV
Mrs Angelinah Olubunmi Peters
My LORD JESUS Is Alive In me