Tayo had just made it into the university. Designer wears, posh phones and flashy cars were her trademark. Due to the fact that she was the friendly and out-going type, she made friends in a flash. Everybody wanted to be associated with her. Most of her friends weren’t as bucked up as she but one would hardly know because dropping cash and stuff for her friends wasn’t something she saw as a big deal, so she did it effortlessly. She wasn’t doing badly in school and her life was almost perfect until 1st semester 200 Level when the EFCC picked up her dad on corruption charges. He was stripped of all his assets and his accounts were frozen. Money became scare and babe had to go low key. All the designer wares, cars and stuff were gone and before long, 98% of her friends were gone too. They were always looking for excuses not to be around her.
That story sounds familiar right? Yeah, because they’re everywhere: fake friends. These are a few thoughts about fake friends:
· Fake friends have an image to maintain. Real ones don’t care. Many of Tayo’s friends left cos they felt their reputation might be dented walking with someone whose father is facing corruption charges.
· Fake friends wanna see you doing better, but not doing better than them.
· Real friends still keep your secrets even after a quarrel or when y’all are no longer friends but fake friends just go ahead and leak your secrets after an argument.
· Its more respectable to come out and say you don’t like someone than to act like you do then go around talking bad about him/her.
· A friend who is always putting down his/her past friends when talking to you is obviously a fake friend and will do the same to you when you have a quarrel.
· If you find yourself constantly in a web of fake friends, look inside you, you might just be a fake friend yourself cos you only attract your type.
If you have a real friend, keep him/her close cos real friends are hard to find these days.